3/19/15

Other strange things in Taranaki

Last week, I told you about some strange anomalies that I learned about called concretions that we saw on our trip to the Patea River Dam.  (Click here for that post.)  This post is, to me, a definite head-scratcher, too.

Notice that the green areas in the map below are hills and mountains covered in trees--so much so that you can't actually see the rest of the Patea River flowing to the town of Patea until you click in quite closely.

The drive is dirt road the last 10 or 12 kilometers with some not-too-shabby scenery.  Below are wild goats grazing while pukekos play in the water. And this view of the river that I posted earlier.

When you finally arrive at the dam, you find a tranquil, beautiful place where you can launch boats, swim, and picnic. Farther from the water and behind some trees is a place to camp, complete with showers.

While we were there, Hubby found some new friends! I have no idea who the calves and sheep belong to. Many of the places we go have signs posted that we are crossing farmlands, so watch out for live stock. *insert shocked smiley here*

The stranger thing is this: Seashells embedded in the ground all along the riverside at the dam. They are honestly and truly fossilized shells or what I imagine fossils should look like.



According to the map at the top, this place is about 30k--through heavy forest--from the ocean. If there is a rational explanation, I can't find it on the internet. Personally, I think that God has an awesome sense of humor.

Reconnect with Nature (come on over and share your nature shots!)

Nature Notes

17 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you so much for the class!!! and the fossils... oh my God.... Incredible!

Unknown said...

thanks for visiting my blog :)
LOVE your photos :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

great post. I agree God does have a sense of humour, that is where we got our from (thank goodness). Love the view of the dam and the livestock as well as the fossils.

John said...

Many marine fossils are found on mountains- many shifts on this old planet

Laura said...

Wow those fossils are amazing!

Dew said...

Thanks for coming by my blog and sadly to say, if those wild animals in my country, doubt how long will they survive or being hunted down.. hehehe..
How wish to visit your country but it's just too far by flight!!!!

Beautiful and nice pictures.

marsha said...

many millions of years ago it could have ocean!!
Great find...and I love the stray animals too

Amy said...

cool photos Betty! scallop shell fossils and can't believe there's cows and goats down there lol. beautiful scenery

Rambling Woods said...

How strange.. Yet there would be wonderful for somebody who loves earth studies to look at. Must have been some ocean type habitat there at one time. The livestock is so cute. I wonder how they stay safe there alone...Michelle

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh I love this spot (virtually -- I wish I could visit it for real). Thanks for sharing more. Those fossils in that location really make one think! Beautiful photos.

Carver said...

Beautiful and interesting shots.

A Colorful World said...

This was a fascinating post! Very interesting river and the seashells are quite a unique occurrence! Wonderful shots, and interesting info!

Anonymous said...

many millions of years ago it could have ocean!!
Great find...and I love the stray animals too

orvokki said...

Interesting .. seashels fossils.
This place has been a big sea many many many many years ago, I suppose. Very lovely find.
Have a nice friday.

NatureFootstep said...

brings back memories. I visited NZ many years ago with a couple of geologists. Learned a lot of the land then. Especially volcanov activity and what you share here. I would be happy visit again if money was not an issue :)

Ohmydearests said...

really fascinating! love your informative posts!

sage and spirit said...

Those fossils are amazing! What a find! We have shell fossils in the mountains here too. Strange to think that once these areas were covered with water.